Brampton Radio CHIC the last Goudas program in 1977

In 1975, Mr. Goudas made a 3-year contract with CHIC radio, 790 on the AM dial, to produce a 3-hour weekly radio show during prime time between 6 to 9 pm on Saturdays.

This program was recorded at Mr. Goudas' studio on Wednesday nights and normally went into Thursday morning, making sure that it was a power-packed 3-hour program.

There was a number of people involved in this program as announcers, interviewers, commentators including such notables as Colin Hanson, Mr. Mahoney, Roy Stewart, Joe Reid, Wyn Callender, Big Willie, Jesse McDonald, Percy Thomas, and others as well as a studio audience.

The music was selected and arranged by Mr. Whoo of the 813 Club (the nickname that used by Mr. Goudas, or Peter Pallas as he was also known as), and comprised mainly the Caribbean and Latin American music, as well as extensive coverage of the news from all over the world as a lot of energy, was devoted to keeping people up to date on what's happening in their native countries.

This program developed a huge following and was the most popular program on the radio. Mr. Goudas had an extensive selection of music from the Caribbean and Latin America which he had accumulated for the 813 club and his personal pleasure (he was an avid collector of this music, and prided himself in having almost all of the recordings that were available), and he wanted to share this music with the entire country.

In a very short period of time, even Anglo Canadians were tuned in to his program on a regular basis, and they even called into the program, or called him at his office, or sent letters of congratulations and even make requests of some songs that they would like to hear..

One day, approximately 2 years after the contract was signed and out of the blue, the radio station told Mr. Goudas that he had to play 50% Canadian content music.

Mr. Goudas told them that it was not possible because this was an ethnic program and there was no Canadian content ethnic music available and the only way he could meet their demands was to probably play the Canadian National Anthem after each song.

The station said that they would pull his program off the air if he did not comply, even though he had paid the money for his programs in advance.

Mr. Goudas informed them that he could not compromise the quality of his programming so there was no way he could have the 50% Canadian content and keep the spirit of his show.

Mr. Goudas argued his point to the station and also approached the government to allow him to continue with his present format.
He told them that he had programs for different nationalities and if he was doing a program for East Indians for example, they would expect him to play East Indian music.
Same could be said for all the other different nationalities who were his audience.

He continued to argue his point and try and convince them to change their position but the station did not budge and finally gave Mr. Goudas a deadline.
This broadcast is the last one before the program went off the air.

The regular DJ was Colin Hanson (the Mover) but he was so upset about this that he was unable to do the program that night.

After all, he has put lots of time and energy into this program and had a huge audience, but that did not matter to the station, and he could not bear to bring himself to do the farewell show.


That is why Jesse McDonald handled this particular show.
The program ran for 3 hours but Mr. Goudas edited it down to 1 hour and 28 minutes, while still keeping the essence of the show intact.

The songs were introduced by Melodie Grayson who normally did that job.

Photo of Melody Grayson 30 years after 11 Nov 2007

The person speaking about the job opportunities is Pat from Barbados, who subsequently became his wife.

Mr. Goudas wanted to make sure that he got to complete this final show, so he stifled his feelings on the air because the station's engineers were standing by with their hands on the switch to cut him off if he said anything negative about the situation on the air.
You can imagine how heavy his heart was during this show.

He stood to lose a lot of money by refusing to change the nature of the program, and the number of nationalities that he was catering to, and walking away from the studio.

But he did just that and it was not this loss of money that bothered him, it was the thousands of loyal listeners to his show who would no longer be able to hear the music that they enjoyed so much.
One of the last things he did was to announce the details of the free Xmas party for the kids that he put on for them every year, and he repeated this a number of times, as you can hear on the tape.

To illustrate the popularity of this program, one night Mr. Goudas pulled over on the side of the road because his car was out of gas (this was normal for him, he does not pay much attention to his gas indicator).
Someone came up and offered him a ride to the gas station.
When he got in the car, Mr. Goudas was surprised to hear the fellow playing a tape of one of his programs which he had done about a year earlier. Mr. Goudas then told him what the next song would be, and the guy asked Mr. Goudas how he knew.
Mr. Goudas told him who he was and that he produced the show, but the guy was still skeptical.
However, when the song that Mr. Goudas told him did indeed come up next, he gave a big smile and said he was very happy to meet him. He told Mr. Goudas that he had over 50 tapes of his programs, he loved them and he plays them over and over.

He then took Mr. Goudas to the gas station, waited while he got a can of gas, and then took him back to his car, all the time blasting his tape of Mr. Goudas' program at full volume! 

The irony of this whole situation is that a few years later, the government allowed ethnic programs on the air, with no Canadian content requirement.

Read the article published years later to understand the issue of the CRTC Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission and the complications of the regulations.




Previous page: Archives  Next page: photogallery